Through the Directorate of Environmental Promotion and Tourism, it is the Federal Government Secerariat in charge of incorporating in the different areas of society and the public function, criteria and instruments that ensure the optimal protection, conservation and use of the country’s natural resources , thus forming a comprehensive and inclusive environmental policy that allows achieving sustainable development. SEMARNAT is responsible for establishing the official standards that regulate this activity. In this sense, the INECC at the federal level also plays an important role in the matter of urban solid waste.
Agency dependent on SEMARNAT in charge of generating and integrating technical and scientific knowledge and increasing qualified human capital for the formulation, conduction and evaluation of public policies that lead to environmental protection, ecological preservation and restoration, low-carbon development, as well as mitigation and adaptation to climate change in the country.
- The corresponding State Secretaries of the Environment or its equivalent are responsible for carrying out compliance with the environmental regulations promoted by SEMARNAT in order to have an environment conducive to environmental development in their communities in coordination with municipal bodies for the collection and separation of solid waste. In some cases, the agency in charge of supervising the correct management of Solid Waste may be in the structure of the Ministry of Public Works or of Economic Development, among others.
- Decentralized Public Organizations (OPD)
- Some states do not have Secretaries of the Environment or equivalent, so it is possible that they have Decentralized Public Bodies.
- State Attorney Offices
They are in charge of reviewing and regulating the final disposal of waste and that the confinement sites operate under the norm established by SEMARNAT (NOM-083), the General Law for the Prevention and Integral Management of Waste (LGPGIR) and environmental impact issues.
The Municipalities are in charge of carrying out compliance with the environmental regulations promoted by SEMARNAT in order to have an adequate standard to environmental development in their communities, as well as the solid waste separation programs through the attributions that the constitution in article 115 on urban solid waste and the LGPGIR.
- FONADIN is a vehicle of the Mexican Government, used to develop infrastructure in the communications, transport, water, environment and tourism sectors.
- FONADIN-PRORESOL: Within the sectorial programs of FONADIN is the Municipal Solid Waste Program (PRORESOL), which supports local and federal governments, as well as the agencies of the different levels of government in the structuring and financing of solid waste management projects , which employ an APP scheme most commonly.
Institution of the Mexican development bank, which makes possible the development of infrastructure projects with high social profitability, financing long-term projects and promoting the participation of the private sector and commercial banks.