Last Update: 05/07/2021
Mexico is one of the most competitive countries for productive investments worldwide due to many factors, such as:
- A strategic geographical position.
- Competitive costs, with a young and talented population.
- Size and strength of its internal market.
- Macroeconomic and political stability.
- Economic growth.
- Ability to manufacture high technology products.
- Open economy that ensures access to the most important markets worldwide through a network of free trade agreements.
According to figures of the Ministry of Economy, in 2020 Mexico received foreign direct investment of more than USD 29 billion, most of it invested in the manufacturing industry. Even more, foreign direct investment flows have performed favorably during the last 10 years, with a total amount of USD 300 billion in the period 2010 – 2020, destined primarily to the manufacturing, financial, mining, commercial, construction, real estate, tourism, media, professional services and transport sectors.
In this same period, the countries with more investments in Mexico were: firstly, its partners in USMCA (United States and Canada), followed by a significant number of European countries (Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, Luxemburg and Switzerland), and Asian countries (Japan).